1. Which statement best explains the generation of electrical energy in a simple cell?
A Free moving ions in the electrolyte.
B Free moving electrons in the electrolyte.
C Transfer of electrons from a more reactive metal to a less reactive metal.
D Transfer of electrons from a less reactive metal to a more reactive metal.
2. In the set-up shown below. metal X is more reactive than metal Y.
Which statement about metal X is correct?
A Metal X decreases in size.
B Metal X is reduced.
C Metal X is the cathode.
D Metal X gains electrons from metal Y.
3. In which of the following circuits is the bulb likely to shine most brightly?
4. Consider the simple cell shown below. Which of the following changes will occur?
A Oxygen gas is produced at the copper electrode.
B The blue colour of the copper(II) sulfate solutions turn darker.
C Hydrogen gas is produced at the magnesium electrode.
D The copper electrode is coated with a layer of brown solid.
5. Ferroxyl indicator can be used to show if rusting has occurred. It turns blue in the presence of Fe2+ (aq). An experiment was set up as shown.
After a few minutes. no blue colour was seen in the solution. What could possibly be the identity of metal X?